Friday, May 13, 2011

Toomers for Tuscaloosa gets the "Quarters"

There is still need. I know that it is easy to forget about something when it is not in your backyard or it is not being plastered all over the news. But the victims of the April 27th tornados that caused massive death and destruction to Alabama still need help.
There is a need for food, water, shelter. There is a need for supplies for a rebuilding effort. There is a need for diapers, toothpaste, baby formaula, towels, underwear, clothing, hairbrushes, books, toys, coffee....the list goes on. Think about it- what would you need if suddenly everything that you owned was blown away?
Some towns in Alabama will probably never be the same. There are so many good people in my sweet home Alabama. I know that everything that can be done is being done for those in need. But with a disaster as widespread as this...it is never enough.
I am working on my little small part. It is not enough. But it is what I can do. I am helping out with Knapsacks for Needs. I a plan to sew my little heart out this weekend!
The Pioneer Woman is doing her little part. Her part equals more than what I can do, but we all do what we can, right? I blogged here about "quarters". Well, go here to see the results!
I could not beleive my eyes! She is giving her "quarters" to Toomers for Tuscaloosa!



If you have the time, you should check them out on facebook. The little idea that started with two ladies has has grown so fast! They are accomplishing amazing things through the power of hardwork and the technology of social media! The photos show all of the devastation. Some are hard to look at. A man holding his one year old baby as he cries blood covering both of them. Homes and schools- flattened.
What lifts me up and makes me realize how strong they are as a state though, is the spirit that shines through in the photographs.The relentless will to survive and thrive is pouring out of the people. It blows my mind and now more than ever I am proud to be an Auburn Tiger and and Alabamian!


No comments: