Friday, April 15, 2011

On my "nightstand" AKA my Literati

Today is SUYL over at Kelly's Corner- so I thought I would participate!

Well, I am ashamed to say that I still have a heaping pile of books on my nightstand even though I have officially been converted to an E-reader. Notice I did not say Kindle. It is NOT because I do not like the Kindle, so all of the you Kindle lovers out there can just simmer down. It is because my ever so generous in-laws gifted me with the Literati at Christmas which I LOVE!


The shame I am referring to about the pile of books is only because I really should clean up more often. I am actually proud of my "real" books and a little sad to let them go. I love paper and actually turning the pages and being able to tangibly see how much I have left to read, but as an avid reader, I do NOT want to get left behind SOOOO, let me start with the "real" books because my excuse for having them SITTING on my bedside table is that I still plan to read them!

First and foremost is The Help. I was reading it at Christmas and got distracted by my new Literati so I have not picked it back up again, but I LOVE IT! The southern accents come to life in her writing and I just adore moving from character to character and getting to see the different view points. It is one of my favorite ways to read a story.


Another one that I have been wanting to get going on is War in Dixie. Yeah, I am a southern girl and an SEC fan and I am pretty passionate about the rivalry between Auburn and Alabama. This book is about the week leading up to the iron bowl...written from the perspective of an Auburn fan and an Alabama fan. I am sure that come fall I will be inspired to start that one up again!


Another one in the pile is The Mission of Motherhood: Touching your Child's Heart for Eternity. I found it from Darby's blog and like to pick it up from time to time for inspiration and a reminder of how important my job as a mother- above all else- really is.


There are a few others, but nothing really blog worthy...more like easy read's that I think I will mindlessly enjoy, but I just can't get into them.


I just finished up The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. Compelling as it was, it still fell a little short of Angels and Demons and The DaVinci Code. It definitely kept my attention, but the climax was a little anti climactic in my opinion! I have been reading that along with The Count of Monte Cristo...a classic that I have not read and am thoroughly enjoying!


I recently read the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo trilogy and LOVED it! Those books are REAL page turners. I could hardly put them down.


The MUST HAVE's for my Literati are: The Hunger Games



and

Half Broke Horses ( loved the Glass Castle- both are memoirs by Jeanette Walls)


Now before I can dig into that list...can anyone tell me where I can place an order for some extra hours in the day???

How about you?

What have you been reading/ want to read???

10 comments:

mel @ the larson lingo said...

I keep hearing great things about Water for Elephants...I am adding to my must read list!

Claire said...

Some great ideas here!

Cxx

Kelly said...

Water for Elephants is so good! Please hurry and finish The Help. It is one of the best books I've read in a long time. And if you like it then you may want to check out The Kitchen House and Wench. Both of those are very good too and they are all based on the same idea.

Tara said...

I just finished Half Broke Horse & loved reading it after reading The Glass Castles a few months ago. What I really want to comment on is your son's shirt in the header...LOVE IT! I'm assuming you're an Auburn fan so I wanted to make sure I said War Eagle!

happymomof4 said...

Great ideas- thanks! On the E-reader front, I have owned a kindle since right after they come out and I have to say I haven't used it in about a year. I am right there with you, there is something about holding a book, turning a page and a sense of accomplishment when you close the book etc...

Kelly said...

I have kindle on my phone I LOVE it


One of my books on it is water for elephants. the movie looks good

http://www.kellysavenue.com/

Erin Branscom said...

I absolutely love your blog and your shop! :) I love my kindle and reading books on there too! :) Erin

www.healthybranscoms.com

Erin said...

I am reading The Hunger Games right now and it is AMAZING.. SO GOOD AMAZING.. have to read..

I could not get into the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo!

Josh said...

Hmmmm, where'd you get the idea to read The Count of Monte Cristo? ;)

Pickled Blu said...

I got the idea to read the Count of Mente Cristo from my AWESOME brutha!
He has read it a couple of times and LOVES IT!