Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Beer Bread- who knew?

My peaceful weekend allowed my mind to unclutter a bit. Enough that by about 3pm on Sunday afternoon, something occurred to me.
I could cook dinner! Wahoo!
My friends all joke that I don't cook (I think that has something to do with the fact that I never cook), but that does not mean that I can't. I am actually not bad when I take the time to do it, or my husband says so anyway. Of course, that could be his desperate attempt to try to flatter me in the hope that I might cook more often. Poor guy..one can only live off Bertolli, spaghetti, and tacos for so long.
But I digress.
The point is, although I did not have a LOT of time, I still had more than the usual 15-20 minutes to prepare something for us to eat.
It was cool outside and gray and gloomy. Since I had some ground beef thawed in the fridge, I decided Taco Soup would be perfect! It is super easy! There are tons of recipes out there for it, but mine is:
brown 1 lb ground beef with half of a medium sized onion diced
drain and put beef in large soup like size pot(that is a technical term stemming from my vast cooking knowledge)
add:
1 can tomato sauce
1 can water
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can veg-all
1 can rotel
1 package of hidden valley ranch seasoning
1 package of taco seasoning
stir
cover
simmer

You can serve over fritos with sour cream and cheese garnish. You can leave out the corn. You can add beans. It is pretty versatile. Dump what you would like and go with it!

Sunday, I decided to make a hearty bread to accompany the soup.

I remembered seeing something about it on Facebook, so I googled it.

Ya'll.

It only has THREE ingredients.
That is my kind of recipe!

3 cups self rising flour
3 tablespoons of sugar
1 12oz can or bottle of beer

All things that I had around the house!

Just mix it up, and bake in a greased loaf pan for 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees.

It is very crunchy on the outside and very soft and yeasty on the inside. I hear tell that different beers give it different flavors. I will definitely be trying this one out again. It was a hit with the boys!
Who knew?
I just love cooking when it is so easy!

No comments: